Easter Holiday. Perfect time for me to get all my projects done before the end of this amazing (and not yet finished) first year of uni.
After researching a lot for real and serious intentions of getting a good stop motion video, I can say that I have finally made one (I’m very happy of the results!) and even though I know I won’t be the best in a digital platform neither I’m not looking to become one of the best. I know what is my potential and I can only adjust and perfect it in a personal way and listen to other people’s opinion.
This project really put me down. I could not translate my ideas into reality and it drove me crazy. But that’s why we are at uni right? Sometimes we forget that this is not a competition with ourselves and I committed that mistake.
It is just a 30 seconds video, and following the limits we had to consider I can finally say I’m satisfied with the results.
This is what a big research, technical improvements and patience can do (and forcing my boyfriend to do sounds and voices was actually fun).
This is definitely the most difficult project I never came across.
Back at square one, I found myself looking for another idea and completely in panic.
The toilet paper was not appropriate for painting at all.
I wanted to keep the idea of the little cutted cards moving around the scene so I changed it, by using posts its and typography. After a critical day at uni I decided it was time to change completely (again) and move forward with something new.
Never adjust experiments, create something new.
This video below is what I brought to the table.
A project that reflects my weakness and lack of digital work and editing.
I still have some easter holidays left and I’m sure I can get something that reflects my personality better and I will find a way out!
I started organizing my thoughts, choosing the materials, the narrative and the sounds.
At first it seemed impossible and now I found myself struggling to find a “great” idea looking at the ceiling and it was bringing me nowhere. After many breaks (way too many), I ended up finding inspiration looking at simple object/material found around me.
Toilet paper, (yeah, I was in the loo when I had the idea) maybe that could be an “original” way of creating my first stop motion movie?
I know how difficult it is to prove yourself when you don’t have basic skills and knowledge in a specific field like digital platforms but I needed to translate my ideas faster!
My interest sparked with the possibilities of matching colours throughout this project. The goal was to create a concertina book – can’t seem to get away from choosing the hardest option – since I had already made two zines during this year and wanted to try something new.
After a few colour matches, I chose blue and red since when overlapped, they created a beautiful dark purple with a great effect.
The story needed to be simple and completely visual, which worked pretty well for me since I have called east london my home for the past 5 years.
A simple path, that looked like a mini printed version of google maps, a straight line to follow that would bring you to the most interesting points on that area.
I also used typography (Rockwell type), which I felt represented and would give the project its “East London look”.
Today was experimentation day.
One by one, we remembered all the steps to take in order to create our own Zine.
We started by matching two or three colours, even four, and while we were waiting for our newly made artworks to dry, we planned how we were going to fold them to create our personalised Zine. With endless possibilities, this process took a considerable amount of time, but in my opinion, it was definetely worth the effort.